Sponsored by the Shelby County Drug Task Force

GET HELP NOW – Call 2-1-1 

(for non-emergencies 24/7)

 or  1-855-663-8333 (toll-free)

Free confidential information and referrals

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY – Call 9-1-1   (24/7)


1. What resource can I use to talk to my children about not using drugs?

An effort is underway across Ohio to prevent drug use among Ohio’s most vulnerable citizens – our children. Governor John R. Kasich and First Lady Karen W. Kasich have launched Start Talking! to give parents, guardians, educators and community leaders the tools to start the conversation with Ohio’s youth about the importance of living healthy, drug-free lives.

2. Why is it important to dispose of unused medicine and where can I take it?
Citizens can safely and securely dispose of unused and/or expired prescription medications. There are two Prescription Drop Boxes located in Shelby County:

  • Sidney Police Department Lobby: 234 W. Court Street/Sidney, OH/45365
  • Shelby County Sheriff Department Lobby:  555 Gearhart Road/Sidney, OH/45365
3. Why are opiate prescriptions and drugs more dangerous than others?
Opioids bind to and activate opioid receptors on cells located in many areas of the brain, spinal cord, and other organs in the body, especially those involved in feelings of pain and pleasure. When opioids attach to these receptors, they block pain signals sent from the brain to the body and release large amounts of dopamine throughout the body. This release can strongly reinforce the act of taking the drug, making the user want to repeat the experience.
4. What are common Opiate prescriptions I may want to avoid or ask for an alternative?
The most common prescription opioids are:  hydrocodone (Vicodin®), oxycodone (OxyContin®, Percocet®), oxymorphone (Opana®), morphine (Kadian®, Avinza®), codeine, and fentanyl.
5. What is “Medical Assisted Treatment”?
Medication-assisted treatment (MAT), including opioid treatment programs (OTPs), combines behavioral therapy and medications to treat substance use disorders.
6. Is there a link or resource list to support groups in Shelby County?
Yes, please refer to the Resources page of this website for links to support groups in Shelby County.
7. Is there a primary number I can call 24 hours a day with a list of resources for Shelby County?

Yes. You can dial 211 from inside Shelby County or 855-663-8333 if you are traveling outside of Shelby County.

This website is funded through a grant from The Community Foundation of Shelby County.